The Silent Minority

How do you confront someone’s wrong behaviour when nobody else has ever brought it up?

To make matters worse, how to you bring it up when the person has been continually promoted in spite of this behaviour?

How could you convince someone to change when they’ve been rewarded for years in spite of what they’re doing?

It’s never fun to feel like you have to pay for generations of neglect by those who should have been better leaders. And yet, that’s life, isn’t it? Our research suggests that 10 percent of people in most companies are having the crucial conversations for the other 90 percent. The good news is that by having them, you are also benefiting yourself!

Here are three thoughts to consider when dealing with someone no one else has confronted.

  1. “Is It Just Me?”

Before stepping up to the crucial conversation, be sure to use the “Choose If” skill. Ask yourself whether you are the only one who seems concerned about the person’s behaviour. If you are, then perhaps you have unrealistic or idiosyncratic expectations. And you just need to change your expectations. If, on the other hand, others are clearly concerned–as expressed in gossip, unexplained transfers of the problem person, etc.–then you’ve got a real issue here. Perhaps you should confront it.

  1. Master Your Story

This is a tricky one. Often you find yourself feeling incensed at this person’s horrific behaviour and just wish you could unload all your frustration on him or her for this long-term inconsideration. If you feel this way, slow down a bit. You need to realise that this is not someone who is intentionally acting up and enjoying every minute of a free ride. Other people are as responsible for this person’s misbehaviour or performance as the person is. They have enabled it for years and this person may honestly believe he or she is doing just fine. Change your story by acknowledging some of the social influences that have brought you to this situation–and you’ll feel a bit more respectful of the person you’re about to confront. For example, an African American manager we know of confronted a colleague about racist behaviour very respectfully because she realised this was behaviour other colleagues had allowed to go on for fifteen years. This made her more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until she gave him a chance to change.

  1. Be Aware of the Story this Person May Tell about YOU

Most of us don’t want to believe we have a problem. We’ll do anything to make the bearer of bad news out to be the real problem rather than revise our view of ourselves. You’re especially vulnerable when you appear to disagree with everyone else in the company! When you share the negative feedback, avoid becoming the “villain” by doing two things:

  1. a) Make it especially safe. Express respect and share your positive intentions thoroughly.

b) Don’t bear the burden of history. Start in the present. If you confront the whole historical set of problems and violations, you’ll almost inevitably end up the villain. And you’ll take more responsibility than you need to. Instead start in the present. Confront the “content” issue first–an immediate example of the behaviour concerning you. See if you can come to agreement about the consequences of this behaviour and its impropriety. If so, you’ve made progress. If future violations occur, you can move to the pattern and relationship confrontations later.

Latest Blog Posts

Stop Apologising

Have you found yourself in a relationship where you find yourself constantly apologising and feeling like you’re being taken advantage of? Genuinely expressing sorrow and


Subscribe to our weekly newsletter

Improve communication, habits, productivity and more with weekly insights and tips from our authors and experts.

Join our 10,000+ community.